Monday, November 20, 2006

I'm an idiot

Today it was confirmed, if there was every any doubt, that I am, in fact, a total and utter idiot. I've spent a large portion of the past week driving myself absolutely demented trying to find two DVDs I bought a while ago. I need them for my S3 class that I'm doing Dracula with - the DVDs are the 1931 Bela Lugosi Dracula, and a box set of Van Helsing, Bram Stoker's Dracula (the Gary Oldman one with Keanu Reeve's incredible-colour-changing-hair), and Mary Shelly's Frankenstein.

Now, I knew that the DVDs had arrived from Amazon. I knew I'd last seen them sitting on the arm chair in the living room. I knew I'd put them somewhere 'safe' when doing a rapid tidy-up prior to my departure south for the October break. (My landlady was going to be round painting the ceiling in the spare room so I figured I should leave the place tidy.) And then the trail went cold. The DVDs were no longer on the arm chair. They weren't in the large Sainsbury's bag in which my to-do ironing gets shoved (when it's not living on afore-mentioned arm chair). They weren't in the DVD rack - obviously. Nor were they to be found in any of the other six million places I've looked over the past seven days.

So where were they, I hear you ask. They were in the living room, as I'd always suspected. Turns out, in my wisdom, that although I'd opened the Amazon package to see what was inside, I'd never actually removed the DVDs from it. So in the October tidying frenzy, I'd shoved the entire thing away behind the clothes horse, between the bookcase and the wall. And there they've been until 6.45ish this evening when I spotted said Amazon package (having looked at it a million times before and assumed it was empty...) and thought "maybe...just maybe..."

Needless to say, a happy-dance-of-joy around the living room ensued, rapidly followed by the realisation that I'm an Idiot. No other words for it.

My name's Nyssa Anderson, and I'm an idiot.

1 comment:

Jackie-Hodgson said...

It could be worse, it really could. Did you hear about the woman from Florida who lost her mom behind a bookshelf? While the search party was out looking for her, she slowly perished. I do not lie. Now I bet she felt considerably stupid. At least your books didn't have vocal cords.