Saturday, June 09, 2007

Reasons Why...

Back Pain Sucks...

Oh, let me count the ways...

1. It hurts.
2. You can't move.
3. Other people cannot appreciate just how much it hurts.
4. It hurts.
5. There is NOTHING you can do to make it better.
6. Everything else in your body hurts as a result.
7. You end up walking like you have - a quote from one of my oh-so-sympathetic pupils - "a dildo shoved up your ass".
8. It HURTS! (The back pain - not the dildo up the ass. I don't have a dildo up my ass. I've never had a dildo up my ass. I wouldn't know if it hurt or not. I'm going to stop this train of thought now.)
9. It can be remarkable tricky to pin-point exactly what you did that caused the pain.
10. Because you can't move, it takes 10 times longer to do anything at all.
11. IT REEEEAAAALLY HUUUUUURRRRRTS!!!!!!

Yeah...so...I hurt my back at some point during the canoing/swimming/jumping fiesta of fun on Tuesday, and when I woke up on Wednesday, I could hardly move. Seriously. Not cool.

It was the School Walk on Wednesday, and I was meant to be on it - I dressed the part, thinking it might ease off, but by the time I got to the staffroom I was almost in tears - and I pretty much did start crying when Ginny and Eileen spotted me and asked if I was ok. It's weird - why is that you're fine, and then as soon as someone asks if you're ok, you start crying? Eileen instantly sprang into mum-mode, bustled off to Jim and informed him that I wasn't walking. I felt gulity, but I wasn't going to argue.

So I spent Wednesday in school, doing stuff that needed doing but didn't require too much physical effort. Like finishing my reports - hee hee! I did spend a fair amount of time wandering the hall ways - if I stayed still too long I totally seized up. Fortunately, JD wasn't walking either, so I harassed him for a while, and I went down to the hall to watch the concert that a couple of the Primary classes did - it was good - part of a workshop/outreach thing-a-ma-jig by the Scottish National Orchestra. And I had the office ladies checking on me - they seem to have semi-adopted me as a poor motherless bairn and as soon as they found out I'd hurt my back they were all for driving me to the doctor, then home - bearing in mind it's about 30 mins each way from school to home, that's a kind offer. I was tempted, but I declined - something they only permitted after I solemnly swore that if the pain got worse I would come and tell them, and if it was no better in the morning I would go myself and not come to school.

After school I paid a visit to the chemist for the strongest painkillers he would give me. I took a double dose - naughty, but the only way I was going to get any sleep. On Thursday I seriously considered calling in sick and going to the doctors, but it was a bit better, and the new timetable was starting, so I figured I'd better go in.

I'm now feeling a lot better - I can actually go up and down stairs without wanting to cry, and I have about 80% normal movement back. And I've only taken one of the uber-painkillers today, although I will prob take another one before I go to bed. I probably should see doctor about it, but there's not a great deal they can do apart from refer me to a physio...and as I'm already on a huge waiting list for my wrists, I don't really fancy joining another one for my back. Dontcha love the NHS?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, the bad back club welcomes its newest member...I, too, have been the victim of somehow being forced to John Wayne it round the office for no good reason, so I sympathise deeply.

Is there not even a single osteopath/chiropractor on the northern isles?

Nyssa said...

It's a possibility, but my lack of ready cash and innate Scottish frugality means that I'm deeply unwilling to pay for treatment when I know that it'll resolve itself in a few days with care and painkillers! It's not really a new thing - being thrown from a selection of horses over the years and a stupidly disproportionate physique ensures that I have long been a member of the back-pain club...I think I need to chase up my membership badge...

And yes, I know I should probably see someone about it, but I have a deeply unhelpful doctor, and as I said...broke...so it'll need to wait until I'm a bit more solvent.