Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Something I never thought I'd do...

Today I did something that I CERTAINLY never, not even in a month of Sundays, thought I would do while living in Shetland. I went swimming. In the sea!

I was wearing a wetsuit, but it was still BLOODY BALTIC! It's Activities at school this week and today I was off on Outdoor Ed - which today involved canoeing around Lerwick and having a bit of a swim. Oh, and jumping into the sea off rocks of various heights. The highest was about 20 feet high - can't believe I did it! There was a definite "oh my god oh my god oh my god" moment at the top, but...there was only one way down...and it was wicked! Loved it, even if it was scary as hell. It was also cool seeing Lerwick from a totally different angle from usual - I had no idea there were all these cliffs and caves and stuff - brilliant. It's also always nice to get out of the classroom with the kids. It's a totally different dynamic and it makes a difference once you're back in class with them, even if it is only a grudging sort of respect that you actually plucked up the courage to do the big jump, or disappointment that you jumped it, rather than needing the shove that they so kindly offered to provide!

My feet have now finally regained most of the feeling (putting on nice clean warm clothes at the end of the day was pretty close to orgasmic, I have to admit), but I'm totally shattered and my back hurts like a bitch. I'm sure it'll be fine in a day or two, but it's the school walk tomorrow and it might be a bit interesting, in a painful sort of a way. And I still haven't finished those bastard reports...

No comments: