Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Updating: The Short Story 1 (Australia)

Ok...I'm officially crap, and I just can't really be bothered going into a blow-by-blow account of the summer, so...here's the short story:

1. I finished up at Aith Junior High School and left the Islands of Shetland on a ferry on the 7th of July. I spent the next few days on the mainland running around like the proverbial blue-backsided flea and left for Australia.

2. My god that's a long flight, and the shower in the BA lounge in Singapore was TOTALLY worth the money the Qantas Club cost.

3. On arrival in Brisbane I hooked up with Dave and we spent the next few weeks doing a whistlestop tour of East Coast Australia. On our way we took in Tangalooma Wild Dolphin Resort, went up north to Cairns and snorkelled on the Great Barrier Reef, headed out to the Atherton Tablelands where we stayed with Dave's wonderful aunt and uncle and I picked up Harry Potter 7 (more on that later), then flew to Uluru - where I slept in a tent! - and finally headed to Sydney.

4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Despite all mocking from Dave, who thought I was kidding when I said that we'd be going on a three hour round trip drive to Cairns if I couldn't get a copy of it in Atherton, I fired through the book and, despite all my fears, it really did live up to all my hopes. Smaltzy-but-neccessary-I-suppose epilogue not withstanding.

5. Sydney was probably my favourite part of Australia, and I took in all the usual sights including the Opera House where I saw a very good performance of Othello, visited the Botanic Gardens and saw the fruit bats, and spent a day wondering around Taronga Zoo where I learned that a baby duck-billed platypus is called a puggle.

No comments: