Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Updating: The Short Story 2 (Fiji)

Dave left me in Sydney and I headed to Fiji, which was DEFINITELY the best part of my trip - no offence to Australia.

I had one night on my own in the main town of Nadi and then it was off to Tribewanted to live the dream: a week on a beautiful desert island. And it really was. It was absolutely amazing. The island of Vorovoro is beautiful, the Fijian people are wonderfully friendly and welcoming, really treating as a member of the community rather than a tourist who is passing through, and everyone in Tribewanted, staff and lowly 'tribey' alike was lovely.

Granted...giant spiders, cockroaches, compost toilets, and Roland the Rat (who I only ever glimpsed as a tail vanishing around a corner but who was particulalry troubling to those sleeping in the Vale) aren't exaclt my cup of tea, but they strangely added to the experience. Although I suppose I should probably stop bitching about camping in the UK where there's proper plumbing and hot showers now...

Whilst on the island, I snorkelled, sunbathed less than I'd expected and still ended up with comedy tan lines, learned three mekes (traditional Fijian dances that involve lots of hip waggling if you're standing, and very quick hnd movements if you're sitting) for the Chief's Handover, and learned to appreciate kava - it might taste like puddlejuice at first, but you soon learn to love it. Well...maybe not love...but you will Get Your Grog On!

I was absolutley gutted to leave at the end of my week, and am definitely planning on going back. I have two weeks on the island still included in my membership and I'm tempted to pay to spend longer, maybe a full month, there next time. Of course there is the small matter of the air fare out there...bugger.

Another night in Nadi and then a night in Brisbane and it was back home. And yes, the shower in Singapore was just as good on the way back. I finally returned home with three days until the start of school and no luggage - joys!

No comments: