Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Updating: The Short Story 3 (Perth High School)

I started my new job at Perth High School on August 13th and spent the vast majority of the first term just trying to keep my head above water, dealing with
1. A new HUGE school
2. No classroom, resulting in me lugging boxes of folders and books around a total of 11 different classrooms on various floors around the school each week. You should see my biceps!
3. Teaching Higher. Eek!
4. Once again having the bammer Third Year class - why me?!?
5. Finding a flat - I was in a B&B for the first three weeks of term
6. Getting my stuff down from Shetland - complicated by an untimely death. Honestly.
7. Being shipped off on one of the school's S1 Residentials. Fun...I got to rockclimb, and climb trees, and randomly met a friend of Jenny's...but I could have done without having to sort out two days of cover materials for my classes
8. Just generally wondering what on earth I'd let myself in for and if working in an office or in retail was really as bad as I remembered.

I decided that yes, it was as bad as that, and I could cope with teaching. Probably. And that's where I am at the moment. Trying to get sorted for next term and working my way through the monstrous pile of marking I had to bring home with me for the holiday. Why couldn't I have been a maths teacher, or something else with minimal marking?

No comments: