Thursday, October 12, 2006

A New World Order

Today at school I found my entire world view in very serious danger of being turned upside down, inside out, back to front, and all sorts of other manifestations of weirdness being afoot. Now, this is not althogether unusual on a Thursday - there is a direct correlation between the nearness of the weekend and the general raucous-ness of school (and I'm not talking about the kids here). To add to this Thursday-effect is the fact that the October holidays begin tomorrow (HURRAH HOORAY YEEHAH etc etc), and this afternoon was 'Promoting Positive Behaviour' afternoon. However, it was none of these deviations from the usual routine by which I run my life that was messing with my head. No, the thing that was really sparking off my weird-ometer was this:

A PE Teacher in a SUIT!

I ask you - what is the world coming to? My first question on heading to the staffroom for the daily meeting was "Is he in court today?" A slightly irritable "I heard that" was the response - it didn't seem to help when I told him that he was meant to hear it! The French teacher asked if he was going to a funeral, and the general consensus amoung the kiddies was "It's just not right."

It transpired that the reason for the suit is the fact that this PE teacher is also one of the two guidance teachers at school, and he had to go out to visit the fourth years who are all on work experience placements this week. Apparently a quiet word had been had that last year he had looked a bit "scruffy" in his standard PE uniform of a tracksuit & trainers, so the other extreme was reached this year. Granted, the effect was somewhat ruined by the fact that said PE teacher hadn't bothered shaving (a fact I was fairly quick to point out, in my usual charming manner) - this was a reflection of his 'inner scruff' - or alternatively that a certain someone was running late this morning.

Anyway, basically - it was just plain weird - PE teacher in a suit. It's just not right. Of course, the comedy of the situation was added to considerably at lunch time when there was a rather sheepish confession coming from a suited and booted PE teacher..."I forgot my PE kit!"

No comments: