Saturday, October 28, 2006

Reader, she married him.

I'm well aware that this post is nearly two weeks late, but as I was on a boat at the time it aired, today was, in fact, my first opportunity to watch the final episode of the BBC's Jane Eyre (thank the gods for programmable VCRs).

And so, I now find myelf sitting in my living room, not giving a hoot that my fire is stubbornly refusing to catch, with an utterly ridiculous, probably bordering on the fatuous, smile upon my face, my whole faith in true love utterly reaffirmed. So much so, in fact, that I'm only marginally irritated by the fact that the iconic declaration of female empowerment that is "Reader, I married him" did not in any way, shape, or form feature in the episode. Give me time to come out of my 'true love conquers all' bubble of happiness and I've no doubt I'll find it in me to be truely outraged, but at the moment...couldn't care less! Likewise, I have no qualms whatsoever with their rather un-proprietous getting jiggy in the meadow at the end. I mean...Toby Stephens...who could blame Jane for wanting to finally get her rocks off?

She married him. He's lush (just look at him - would you say no?) and he loves her desperately. All is right with the world. *sigh*

I'm off to daydream delightfully about Mr R/Toby Stephens (either would do) declaring their undying love and affection...*sigh* I might even finally be ready to re-read the actual book...

2 comments:

darkman said...

J,the subject of my blog,published a book of love poems,albeit unintenionally funny ones.

Anonymous said...

I've watched it several times, and blubbed accordingly. Thank God for Mother's inspired use of non-timed VHS recording! I loved the meadow-frolicking bit, it was so cute with their boots and everything!

And can I just say; true to the book it wasn't, I know, but I was so pleased they left him blind! None of this namby-pamby "and he regained his sight just in time for his first-born son to be placed in his arms" rubbish, so much more satisfying.

Can't wait for the DVD. Will probably be giving the Wide Sargasso Sea one a miss though, because it was a bit rubbish.